You must pick a FTP client first. The instructions below will be for the free client SmartFTP and Dreamweaver.
- Download SmartFTP (https://www.smartftp.com/download)
- Install the software on your computer
- Click on file and then new connection and the following screen will come up.
- Enter in the following:
- Protocol: FTP
- Host: Your domain name
- Path: /public_html/
- Login Type: username and password
- Username: Your username
- Password: Your password
5. Click OK and you should be connected to your public_html folder.
6. You can now open your local folder and drag and drop your content.
NOTE: Detailed videos on using SmartFTP can be located here.
- You must create a site.
- To do this click on site and then new site.
- Enter in the site name you would like to use.
- Select your local site folder if it exists on your hard drive or create a new folder by typing the name of the folder you would like to create (note by default the only words you should change are “unnamed site” in the local site folder field because the path is already pointing to your document root).
- Click on servers and enter in:
- Your domain name
- Port 21
- Your username
- Your password
- Enter your root directory (/public_html/)
6. Click test to ensure that the connection is working. If successful is shown click save.
7. Now you can click on the connect to remove host button in the files panel.
8. Once connected you can use the put button to move your files to the server.